Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Boys Like Girls?

So. Paul kinda made my life the other night. No, no. Not THAT Paul. The OTHER Paul. The dude who wrote Ephesians. In my Spifo class (Spiritual Formation) we have read through Ephesians about 5 times now. And I noticed the other night that he says in chapter 5 verses 31-32a “’For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ This is a great mystery…” And I LAUGHED! I have LONG since wondered why on God’s green earth a man would want to forever be bound to a woman. And apparently, one of the great Bible writers doesn’t know either. :) It made me feel a bit better about my life.
RANT TIME!
Girls grow up watching the Disney princess movies and reading fairytales and we have it ground into our heads that we should find a man and get married and we have this very real sense of romance. But I don’t think boys watch Beauty and the Beast (ok, bad example. Whatever) and think to themselves “MAN! I want to grow up and learn to dance and eat soup properly so that I can make a girl fall in love with me so that we can get married and be in love…” I just don’t think it happens.
Boys, if you disagree with me, PLEASE tell me!
I just don’t think it works that way, though.
I did discover one thing, though, that I think helps explain why boys want to get married: they want to protect. Girls want to be protected and boys have this nature to protect. I don’t know how true this is, I don’t remember where it came from or why I thought of it, but I think it’s true. Just tonight I had a guy, Prince Eric, walk me back to my dorm. It was, like, midnight and my dorm was super far from the building we were leaving. So he walked me back. Though it’s probably because we’re friends, I wonder if that desire to protect played into it…
… I still don’t get why guys would ever want to get married or be in love.
I think I’m going to ask Prince Eric why tomorrow at lunch.
I’ll let you know how it goes.
-Emi

No comments:

Post a Comment